19 People Displaced By Apartment Fire

Unattended Cooking Equipment Believed To Be The Cause

Mitch Kelly
October 04, 2019 - 6:00 am

Las Vegas Fire And Rescue

Categories: 

LAS VEGAS, NV (KXNT)- Close to two dozen people are out of their home after fire raced through a central Valley apartment complex early Friday.

Las Vegas and Clark County firefighters responded to 4264 Silver Dollar Ave. near Sahara and Arville around 2am Friday after several people notified 9-1-1 that an apartment was on fire.

When firefighters arrived on scene, flames were coming out the windows and door of an upstairs apartment in the two story wood frame/stucco building with eight units. Because of the intense flames and it was a time when most people were sleeping, a second alarm was dispatched to send more firefighters to help with evacuation and fight the fire.

The building was quickly evacuated and the fire was brought under control before the second alarm units arrived on scene. One person was transported to University Medical Center after being cut by broken glass.

Fire investigators determined the fire was a result of unattended cooking. The occupant of the unit where the fire started told fire investigators they started cooking with grease and while waiting for it to warm up, they fell asleep. They woke to find the kitchen on fire. The family of two adults and four children were able to escape. One of their pet dogs did not make it out and died of smoke inhalation. One other dog escaped and one was missing. The family of six is being assisted by the American Red Cross after being displaced. The apartment was gutted by the fire.

The apartment directly below had water damage. Five adults and seven children in that unit is also being assisted by the American Red Cross after being displaced.

Damage is estimated at $75,000.