Nevada to extend COVID-19 activities pause into February

State moving away from tiered COVID-19 vaccination plan

Paul Ihander
January 11, 2021 - 6:05 pm
Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak speaks during a press conference in the Nevada State Legislature Building in Carson City on June 24, 2020.

© JASON BEAN/RGJ via Imagn Content Services, LLC

Nevada will extend the state's current COVID-19 activities pause into February and move away from the current tiered vaccination plan.  Governor Steve Sisolak made the announcement during a Monday afternoon news conference in Carson City.   The pause had been set to end January 15, but will be lengthened by 30 days.

The Governor says the HHS team predicts it’s likely Nevada won’t see the full impact of holidays and gatherings in December until around two weeks from now.  He adds we likely won’t see the full impact of New Year's Day until the end of the month.

The state has already provided more than 61,000 doses of vaccine, with more than 8700 second doses.  There will now be "lanes of vaccination" running concurrently instead of a tiered system.

The Governor says the updated structure offers flexibility for those working in communities to ensure all doses are being used, while still maintaining an order of operation to the rollout of vaccines across different groups.